Rules and Regulation
Calling all aspiring singers! The nasheed/ rap category is ideal for anyone who desires to write unique lyrics and use their singing skills to capture people’s attention about topics they are passionate about.
- A minimum of one (1) and a maximum of six (6) people can register for this competition.
- This will be a separate competition for brothers and for sisters. Each team must be either all male or all female. Only one (1) group can enter this competition per MIST team.
- The Nasheed/Rap competition is different from the Spoken Word competition. If a competitor registers for both competitions, they may not use the same piece.
- The performance must not exceed more than five (5) minutes. Points will be deducted from the total score if the performance exceeds the allotted time.
- The only instrument that can be used for the performance is a drum with an open end (daf). Full drum kits, floor drums, etc. will not be allowed. Drums will not be supplied by MIST. Each group is responsible for bringing their own drums. Other methods used for rhythm may be explored such as vocal percussion (beatboxing), etc. Groups cannot use digitally enhanced sounds for their performance.
- Groups must perform in front of an audience. No repeat performances from previous years are allowed.