Rules and Regulations
Not only do you carry around your camera with you all the time, but you see everything as an opportunity for the perfect photo. Painting and drawing is cool and all - but you prefer a lens and the dark room for your creative pursuits.
- No more than four (4) students from each school may register for this competition.
- Each student will compete individually, so collaboration is not permitted. Each competitor must turn in a separate piece of work.
- A minimum of three (3) and a maximum of five (5) photographs must be submitted as part of the photography portfolio.
- The photographs must carry a coherent theme or style to showcase the photographer’s skill.
- Photographs must be the competitor’s own work from beginning to end, including taking the pictures. Photographs must be taken exclusively for this competition (pictures from previous years may not be used).
- The photographs must reflect on this year’s MIST theme.
- Photographs may be of any inanimate OR animate object.
- Photographs may NOT be digitally modified beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, minor adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.).
- Photographs must be bound in some way to reflect a portfolio. Binding options may include, but are not limited to, vinyl folders, sleeves in binders, etc. Do not use staples, paper clips or rubber bands that may damage the artwork. Do not use cardboard for mounting artwork and do not use any frames.
- Photographs should be printed on high quality, photographic paper.
- Photographs should not be rolled or folded.
- The pictures must each be a minimum of 8×10 or larger.
- No more than $100 can be spent on supplies.
- Three (3) hard copies of a written Artist Statement (500 words max) must be submitted to explain the piece. The statement is to include what the artwork is about and what inspired the competitor to make it.
- Portfolio and written Artist Statement must include the competitor’s MIST ID. Do NOT include your own name anywhere on the submissions.
- This competition will be conducted in-person*.
- All submissions will be judged. Depending on the number of entries, only the top entries (based on portfolio and artist statement) will be interviewed. The number of interviews conducted will be up to the discretion of the Regional Headquarters.
- The interview will be conducted in-person*. The interview will consist of the judge asking specific questions in order for the competitor to describe the purpose and inspiration of their photographs.
- The artwork, artist statement, and interview will be judged according to the Photography Detailed Ballot.