Rules and Regulation
Test your recitation of the Quran in Arabic, according to tajweed (rules of recitation).
- No more than four (4) students from each school may register for this competition. (i.e. up to 4 brothers and 4 sisters).
- Each student will compete individually, so collaboration is not permitted.
- There are no levels for this competition - the entirety of the Qur’an is part of the testable material.
- The focus of the competition is Qur’an recitation and tajweed, NOT memorization.
- Judging will be based on 3 separate passages from any part of the Qur’an. Each passage will be about 20 verses long.
- Judges will tell the competitor where to start the recitation and where to stop. Competitors will be expected to recite the selected passages during their time.
- A competitor’s turn will include:
- Recitation of 3 separate passages.
- In addition to being scored on the pronunciation (Tajweed) during the recitation of the 3 passages, competitors will also be tested on basic Tajweed rules for the final 10 points.
- Minor Mistakes: Minor mistakes made and not self-corrected will result in a loss of five (5) points.
- Heavy vs. Light - To overlook the rules of tafkheem and tarqeeq only when reciting the name of Allah and theletter Raa
- Ghunnah - Not to adhere to the the rules of izhaar, idghaam, iqlaab, ikhfaa, etc. in their respective places
- Prolongation - Not to prolong / stretch a letter when madd is present
- Major Mistakes: Major mistakes made and not self-corrected will result in a loss of ten (10) points.
- Incorrect Makhraj or Sifat - Not to pronounce letters from the correct place of articulation and their respectivequalities, including qalqala, etc
- Addition - To add on letters to words, or add entire words
- Omission - To leave off letters from words, or leave out entire words
- Replacement - To replace a letter for another, or replace entire words
- Change Harakah - To change the fat’ha, dhamma, or kasra
- To replace Harakah with Sukoon and vice versa - To replace a fat’ha, dhamma, or kasra with a saakin and vice versa
- If a mistake is made but is self-corrected, the competitor will lose 1 point.
- This competition will be conducted in-person and all competitors will be judged.
- MIST ID and order of competition will be pre-assigned on a random selection basis.
- All competitors will report to the competition room at the same time, which will be designated in the competition schedule.